Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Playwrights' Festival's Andrew Manardo




The Road Theatre Company Proudly Presents
The Eighth Annual
SUMMER PLAYWRIGHTS FESTIVAL
8 Days! 30+ plays!
Receptions and live music nightly!


This year’s festival will include a 50/50 parity of male and female playwrights and runs Sunday, July 3Oth through Sunday, August 6th at The Road on Lankershim, in the Historic Lankershim Arts Center in North Hollywood at 5108 Lankershim Blvd, North Hollywood and at The Road on Magnolia at 10747 Magnolia Blvd, North Hollywood at the NoHo Arts Colony!

We will feature spotlights on all the playwrights of full length and one act plays over the next few weeks. This week the spotlight shines on Andrew Manardo, author of the one act Boys*.


What is your familiarity with The Road and the Playwrights Festival? If you have been here before how would you rate your experience? If not, why did you choose to bring your play here? Have you seen work produced here?

I have been a member of The arias for the past two years. I have participated in the festival as an actor but wanted to try my luck as a writer. I wanted to bring my okey here because these members are a second family to me and I want to work with them in every capacity that I can.

What is your process for writing and rewriting? Anything you care to share here as advice for other playwrights would be welcome.


My process for writing starts at the ending, the hook or reveal. I imagine and fantasize about that piece first, just letting the pencil write whatever creeps into my mind. I tend to work backwards or in sections, connecting them together at a later time when I feel inspired to do so.

What is the value of having your work done here at The Road in California? What are your expectations and hopes for your play for the future?

The value of having my work done here at The Road is tremendous. I am a member here and bring my writing here because The Road accepts and encourages individuality. My one-acts incorporate disability in some way or another. The Road promotes diversity, and that is one of the many reasons. They accept me and my writing for who I am and for what I write.

Remember: The Road on Lankershim is located in the Historic Lankershim Arts Center in North Hollywood at 5108 Lankershim Blvd, North Hollywood and The Road on Magnolia at 10747 Magnolia Blvd, North Hollywood at the NoHo Arts Colony! There is street parking available in both locations, but come early, at least a half hour before curtain.

Because SPF8 is a fundraiser, tickets are by donation only and are only available at the door! Suggested donation for a single performance is $15 –or this year, try a weeklong festival pass for the suggested donation of $50!


*Boys will play Sunday, August 6 with other one act plays on Lankershim at 8 pm.

No comments: