Monday, June 17, 2019

Sporlight on Jacqueline Misaye

The Road Theatre Company proudly presents Michael Perlman's At the Table at the Lankershim Arts Center May 17 through July 7. This riveting play deals with six so called liberal friends who realize on a weekend retreat that they are not as enlightened or diverse as they thought. Every week we will spotlight a member of the cast. This week the light shines on Jacqueline Misaye.


Who do you play and what purpose does this character serve?

I’m playing the character of Sophie, who comes along in the second part of the play to push some characters in core group of friends to embrace their better or more authentic selves. She is incredibly in tune with who she is, and the place she takes up in the world.  Her confidence and strong sense of self serve as support beams for the more off balance and struggling characters in the play. Which isn’t to say that she has it all figured out.  She doesn’t.  But, she is the first person to acknowledge that there may be answers outside of ourselves, and that actually listening and taking in what the people around us are saying can bring us closer to what rings true within us. 

What are your challenges as an actor?

As a person, I feel extremely close to my character.  I think some of the challenges have been to find the differences between myself and Sophie. Which is such a lovely problem to have.  That, although we as people may be triggered by similar things or hear things the same way, she reacts to things in a softer, more companionate way than I am able to.  It’s wonderful to work on a character I could, in many aspects, aspire to be.  

How are you preparing?

As a cast, we spent a lot of time getting to know one another and, under the incredible direction of Judith (Moreland), building up to the level of trust that is needed.  Of course I do work on the character on my own, but given the ensemble nature of the show, that work would be meaningless without the other people on stage with me.  

What is the theme or message of the play?

People talk a lot over each other in the show. Sharing their points of view, their perspective, their defined personality.  Sophie starts off the second act with a plea, not to be heard, but to have the opportunity to listen.  The play begs us to listen to our loved ones, listen to the world outside our selves, and listen to the person we want to be- or suffer the ramifications of what happens when you don’t.

Talk about your fellow castmates and your director.

When I first read the play, I initially expected the biggest challenge would be to create the sense of comaraderie with my fellow actors on stage that the play demands. But they have all made that so incredibly easy.  I can look around the room as Sophie or Jackie and I can trust that I can have an authentic, playful, or meaningful moment with everyone on stage with me.  That is such a rare and wonderful gift, and it keeps the play alive for me every night. That trust and freedom was created and nurtured by our brilliant Judith Moreland.  I am still pinching myself that I have gotten to work with such an emotionally intelligent, compassionate, egoless, generous, empathetic, artistically freeing and brilliant director.  I couldn’t have had a more rewarding experience with Judy and this insanely talented cast.


At the Table will play at the Lankershim Arts Center 5108 Lankershim Blvd. North Hollywood, CA through July 7 with possible extension. There is street parking but arrive early. For tickets call 818 766-8838.

No comments: