Monday, June 3, 2019

Spotlight on Blake Young-Fountain



The Road Theatre Company proudly presents Michael Perlman's At the Table at the Lankershim Arts Center May 17 through July 7. This riveting play deals with six so called liberal friends who realize on a weekend retreat that they are not as enlightened or diverse as they thought. Every week we will spotlight a member of the cast. This week the light shines on Blake Young-Fountain.





Who do you play and what purpose does this character serve?

I play ‘Nicholas’. Nicholas is a truth-teller. Nicholas is the catalyst that helps propel Lauren to begin (or continue) to search for who she really is and what she wants.

What are your challenges as an actor?

To defy the choice to see or play Nicholas as a stereotype: angry black man. Don’t get me wrong, Nicholas has his moments where he feels angry, but there is a pain underneath his anger from the possibility of losing his friend and seeing her not behaving as her authentic self.

I think there is a fine line of “angry black man” who might choose to shout and holler at Lauren; vs the Nicholas who feels angry, but instead of belittling or chastising Lauren, he uses his passion to wake Lauren up, or to jolt Lauren into recognizing her beauty, and to help Lauren propel herself to the point where she can look at herself in the mirror and really be content with what she sees and to be her authentic self.

How are you preparing?

Every time I was in rehearsal and each time I go on stage, I allow myself the space to discover something new. Continuing to be open to finding new things with the character or hearing another character’s line differently. By doing this, it’s helped me to keep the show fresh and brand new each night.

What is the theme or message of the play?

One of the lines in the play is “Who is me?” I think that is the theme of the play. I think each character crosses that bridge where they are forced

Talk about your fellow castmates and your director.

I think another reason I love working on this show, is because I enjoy hanging out with the actors outside of the theatre. There is a genuine camaraderie between each of us. We respect one another. And we find joy in each other’s company. Our off-stage friendship helps to build and reinforce us as an ensemble when we are working together on stage. Our director, Judy (Moreland), who is also an actor — she has been a true gift! She is a director that has a vision. She allowed us (and helped us) as actors to be vulnerable and to “always find the hotter choice.” I loved working with Judy because she really helped bring this show to its full potential —and then, encouraged us to continue to go further .

At the Table will play at the Lankershim Arts Center 5108 Lankershim Blvd. North Hollywood, CA through July 7. There is street parking but arrive early. For tickets call 818 766-8838.

No comments: